Monday, September 12, 2011

Mrs. Mercedes to the rescue!

We've been struggling for a long time with daycare vs. nanny, pros vs. cons of each and finally decided to take the plunge with the nanny route! We made this decision before I went back to work. Oh my gosh - it was quite the process...


We interviewed SO SO SO many people.

We had about 50 applicants for the job, 20 or so deserved a call back, 12 got a 'real' interview and 3 actually kept the kids for a day (paid)...

We finally decided on a soft spoken, educated, bilingual woman (also a former teacher of Primrose, shhhh....) named Mrs. Mercedes! She is seriously more than we could have ever asked for in our price range! Fortunately for us, she just doesn't know how much she is worth, which makes her affordable! Chris adores her and I'm sure CJ will too as he gets older. The boys seem to really enjoy staying in their own environment during the day and spending time together! = ) Don't worry - they get plenty of socialization since we are always at the Children's museum, hanging out with family and friends, etc.... plus our pediatrician super approves of our plan! All in all, we are extremely happy with our decision!

Every day Chris greets us with a HUGE hug when we get home, smile on his face and some artwork and either a number or letter of the day! He then gives Ms. Mercedes a big hug and tells her "adios"!

Anyway, I'm sure most of y'all knew how extremely stressed out we were during the process so I just wanted to let you all know that it all turned out just great!

And now that we can look back and laugh on the process, here are some of our favorite interviewees:

1. Nanny E- "I provide nanny services on a pay scale. For $12/hour I will educate your child. For $9/hour I will just make sure they are fed and safe.... oh and I plan to bring my 2 year old 'sister' with me. Is that okay?"

2. Nanny K- shows up with a ginormous lip ring! Very goth. I'm just picturing Caleb yanking that thing out. I almost did.

3. Nanny C- I swear this lady was friggin' high as a kite on the phone. She talked for one hour and we couldn't get a single word in. She came over for a face to face interview and sure enough - totally hippie-d out! High.

4. Nanny R (whom we absolutely adored)-
Charlie- "do you have a car?"
R- blank stare
Charlie- "do you understand what I'm saying"
R- blank stare....
She was AMAZING with the boys but spoke NO ENGLISH! = (

5. Nanny E - drives up in a red, convertible mustang
Jennifer- "so, do you think you can handle 2 boys that are 2 and under?"
E- (giggles) "yea...(pause)...I think so..."
Charlie- "do you smoke?"
E- "only when I'm out partying with friends. Otherwise, no."
At this point I take my two fussy, hungry children in the back yard so Charlie can wrap things up...
Charlie- "well, it was nice meeting you. We will...."
E- (interrupts) "hold on! let me answer this text message really fast..."

6. Nanny T -
Jennifer- "so when would you be able to start watching the boys?"
T- "I wouldn't be able to start for 2 weeks"
Jennifer- "okay, that's fine. The boys are in daycare anyways right now. We are in no rush."
T- "I had gastric bypass surgery last week and I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy"
Jennifer- (thinking) ...well our 2 boys may be considered heavy...
Jennifer- (trying to be polite and medically oriented) "So, how's that going? Are you able to tolerate a diet yet?"
T- "Yea, I can now eat 3 tablespoons of pureed/baby food a day...if I eat more than that I get really sick, throw up and possible pass out..." WTF?!? At least she wouldn't
eat our kids or our food...

7. Nanny G-
G- "I got fired from my last job because I was on the phone too much!"
Jennifer- "oh really?!"
G- "yes. I learned my lesson though. I learned to never take my phone to work with me again. "
Charlie- "actually we would want you to have your phone with you in case of an emergency or we needed to get ahold of you."
G- "of course. good point. well, i will keep it off then."

8. Phone interview with nanny ?- "My husband and I are trying to get pregnant." I somehow lost connection with her after that statement....

And lastly, here is a pic of our bambinos! I just got a new computer (MacBook for life!) so I'm working on downloading/transferring pics so this is all I've got right now! Enjoy!

0 comments: